Sunday 11 September 2011

Neutral Density Filter and the Cudgegong River

After having used the ND fader filter with great success at Dunne's Swamp last weekend (see first blog) I decided that I would tackle the Cudgegong river that runs through our farm again. In the past I hadn't used the ND filter and I ended up with 'happy snaps' that I wasn't happy with (pardon the pun). Some of this was probably due to being blocked from seeing, but I think I was also looking at the larger landscape. Looking  at a more intimate landscape (smaller area) I was able to compose more simply and get rid of the clutter.

I did several test runs with each composition, just get to get amount of "flow" right. I changed apertures and shutter speeds to play with the amount of light being let into the lens, as well as the amount of ND filter applied. My ND fader filter goes from 1 to 10.

Here are some of the better results:



                                              

The next couple of shots are still using the ND filter, but to make the water seem still, although it is actually flowing. A slightly different effect to the above series.

I think I'll be back at the river next visit to take more of these type of images.

1 comment:

  1. I love them Dot. They are so typical of your intimate landscape work. Each of them has its own attraction and I was very much enjoying the movement in the early ones and then I saw the 3rd and 4th from the end where you have gorgeous soft water looking so quiet. Beautiful work!!! can't wait to see the next lot.

    ReplyDelete